Omaha by Design is seeking qualified candidates for a Communications and Outreach Coordinator in Omaha, Nebraska. The position is at-will and responsible for collaborating with the Executive Director, other team members and community partners.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Work with the Executive Director and staff to design, implement, maintain and evaluate comprehensive communications and outreach strategy, including schedule for steady and directed release of communications materials and graphics across multiple channels.
- Design communications and outreach materials, copy, and formats to engage a broad audience of city-builders, including members of the design community, policy makers, elected officials, neighborhood advocates, cross-sector leaders, and members of the public.
- Oversee adherence to brand standards and image, ensuring consistency and professionalism across multiple platforms and all external communications.
- Coordinate website development and future enhancements. Drive website utilization as a primary educational resource, maintaining consistency and clarity with regularly updated content in support of programming and initiatives. Link to social media as warranted to engage a broader and more diverse audience.
- Oversee the management, scheduling, creating and editing of written communications for printed, electronic, and spoken release, including newsletters, annual report, invitations, brochures, event programs, website content, presentations, press releases and editorials.
- Serve as the organization’s primary public relations contact, forwarding media inquiries to the Executive Director and staff as appropriate. This may also include providing images, graphics, and prepared statements to the media.
- Assist with fundraising, including written and graphical support for grant applications and report content.
- Assist in evaluation of programming and communications effectiveness using community input, surveys and other metrics. Track and monitor progress towards goals, and revise or adjust communications accordingly.
- Coordinate photography and videography, organize media assets library and manage usage rights and distribution.
- Provide brand management and communications in support of Omaha by Design’s annual community awards program, The Laurels Awards.
- Build strong relationships with public, private, nonprofit, and community stakeholders.
- Seek partnerships to enhance the reach and impact of communications.
- Monitor current developments in people-centered urban planning, design, and development. Maintain a high level of education and awareness of national and local trends, and link communications to best practices examples as appropriate.
- Represent Omaha by Design with professionalism at various internal and external functions.
QUALITIES YOU’LL DISPLAY:
- Commitment to and passion for working collaboratively to improve quality of life throughout the Omaha metro. Driven to build and inspire a more thriving community by convening, engaging, educating, and advocating for excellence in people centered urban design.
- Exceptional communication skills: the ability to convey and impart complex information in an easy-to-understand format, including writing, data visualization, and in-person presentation.
- Innovative and entrepreneurial. Openness to new ideas and readiness to challenge conventions in creation of fresh and engaging communications content.
- Confidence to take initiative and responsibility to deliver expected outcomes with minimal guidance on a variety of communications and outreach projects. A self-starter.
- Baseline understanding of – and desire to continue learning about – urban planning, design and development-related issues, including emerging technologies within these fields.
- Ability to translate relatively complex urban design concepts into fun, engaging, and broadly accessible messaging and communications.
- Strong attention to detail, good time management, organizational, and follow-through skills.
- Sharp eye for graphic design. High standards for visual quality and consistency of all materials and communications output on the organization’s behalf.
- Demonstrated public speaking and group facilitation skills. Ability to lead small gatherings of community stakeholders and work with others toward solving problems collaboratively.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity. Eagerness to welcome new stakeholders and empower citizens to participate in shaping their built environment.
- Ability to work in a team environment with internal and external stakeholders.
- Professional appearance, demeanor and conduct, both in person and online.
- Ability to work flexible hours including early mornings, evenings, and weekends if necessary.
Bachelors degree in communications, marketing, business or design-related field; – OR – equivalent combination of education and experience
Skills in Microsoft Office 365, Adobe, Canva, WordPress, G Suite, and other online platforms.
HOW TO APPLY:
Send cover letter, resume, and optional portfolio of work to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants will receive an email confirming receipt of materials within 24 hours.
All applications must be received by March 1, 2020 (11:59pm Central Time).
Selected candidates will be notified, and interviews scheduled soon after.
Join us in building a more vibrant, livable city for all.